Wednesday, January 30, 2019

He Said...


He Said…


I’ve been playing ultimate Frisbee as a fun hobby for several years now.  I haven’t improved much – and it’s a little embarrassing that I can no longer call myself a beginner.  However, occasionally it works to my advantage.  Usually, whoever is guarding me isn’t too concerned about the Frisbee being thrown to me.  Because, well…. It doesn’t happen a lot.  Mostly that’s on me, I still haven’t figured out the best routes to run and I’m still really slow.  But it’s also because it’s not guaranteed that I’ll actually catch whatever is thrown my direction.  So mostly ultimate has become a great place for me to run around, getting great exercise and being around a different group of interesting people.  I’m there to have fun, not focused on perfecting my skills.  And I have a lot of fun.


We were halfway through the game; and I slipped away unnoticed from the person guarding me.  I managed to make the right run, clear line from the handler to me in the end zone.  He made eye contact and threw the disc.  And I started repeating in my head…. Just catch it.  Two hands. You got this.  And simultaneously… whatever you do don’t drop this.  Don’t screw this up.  I took a deep breath, and crocodile clapped my hands around the disc and quickly pulled it to my chest. 

He looked at me, laughed, and smiling said, “I believe in you more than you believe in yourself.” 

And it’s true.  He trusted me.  He released the disc and sent it soaring to me.    And for the rest of the game, all I could hear in my head was “I believe in you.” “I believe in you more.”  And I soared with confidence.

And all I kept thinking is how much I want that to be what other people hear in their heads when they are on my team on the field, and in life  Friend – I believe in you!  I believe in you more!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment