Sunday, December 31, 2017

Journeying Through Pages


Reading through 2017

People who know me well, know that I love to read.  This year I wanted to read 52 books and I was very close.  I greatly surpassed my goal if you count all the Children's books I read this year, especially if you counted the 10 times I read The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss (but I won't).  I have to admit that this quantity of books was mostly made possible by the Text-To-Speech feature on my kindle and San Jose traffic.  I also want to thank my Fuller professors for making it so clear to me how much of what I was reading was by old white men, and widening my reading lists. I benefited greatly from that challenge this year, though I still have far to go.

I'm posting this mostly for my own benefit, but thought I'd recommend a few books I read this year as well.  The books are listed in the order that I read them.  The titles that are in bold are my top reads from this year that I highly recommend.

Image result for reading

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” 


  1. The Wonder by Emma Donoghue
  2. Legend by Marie Lu
  3. Love Warrior: A Memoir by Glennon Doyle
  4. Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
  5. Rare Bird: A Memoir of Loss and Love by Anna Whiston-Donaldson
  6. The Faraway Nearby by Rebecca Solnit
  7. Soul Keeping: Caring for the most Important Part of You by John Ortberg
  8. Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
  9. Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah             Seriously, you just need to read this book.  Trevor was born in South Africa during Apartheid to a black mother and a white father; literally his being born was a crime.  He uses his humor to talk about a difficult childhood and the brokenness of the world. 
  10. Homegoing: A Novel by Yaa Gyasi
  11. Falling Free: Rescued from the Life I Always Wanted by Shannan Martin
  12. For the Love: Fighting For Grace in a World of Imperfect People by Jen Hatmaker
  13. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
  14. The Insanity of God by Nick Ripkin
  15. Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids With the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick
  16. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
  17. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
  18. The Road Back To You by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile
  19. The Problem with Forever by Jennifer Armentrout
  20. Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler
  21. One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
  22. Love Lives Here: Finding What You Need in a World Telling You What You Want - Maria Goff
  23. Yes Please by Amy Poehler
  24. Find Her by Lisa Gardner
  25. Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson                            Most U.S. citizens will admit that the correctional system in the U.S. is broken.  But this book is mind-blowing.  Bryan Stevenson's work with death row inmates, battling discrimination and prejudices in the justice system is noble and something you should know about.
  26. The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
  27. See Me by Nicholas Sparks
  28. Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult
  29. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch                                                                                                     A dying father writes the things he wishes he could teach his children and talks candidly about the process of dying.  Great book to get a good perspective on life.
  30. The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - Daniel James Brown                                                                                             I read this book because it was recommended to me by a good middle school friend who said it was incredible.  I would have never picked it up myself, but I'm so glad he clued me in.  It is just a great book about real people and the triumphs and difficulties of life.
  31. How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life Worth Living by Rob Bell
  32. Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly
  33. We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi
  34. A Year of Biblical Womanhood: How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband Master by Rachel Held Evans
  35. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
  36. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  37. Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Couter                                                                                The life story of a child who spent many years in the broken foster care system in the U.S. and was adopted as a teenager.  Anyone who has a heart of children in foster care and adoption should learn from this brave young woman.
  38. Three More Words by Ashley Rhodes-Couter
  39. Coming Clean by Seth Haines
  40. The Captain's Bride by Lisa Tawn Bergen
  41. Becoming Home by Jedd Medefind
  42. The Sanctuary by Ted Dekker
  43. David and Goliath: Underdos, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
  44. When God Says Wait: Navigating Life's Detours and Delays Without Losing Your Faith, Your Friends, or Your Mind by Elizabeth Lang Thompson
  45. Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves
  46. Free of Me: Why Life is Better When Its Not Really About Me - Sharon Hodde Miller
  47. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
  48. Tossing and Turning by John Updike
  49. Stronger Than You Know by Jolene Perry 

2 comments:

  1. Jessie, thanks for your list and thank you for the Christmas card. Makes me want to visit Costa Rica. :) Another book that Tom and I just listened to (12 hr drive to and from Iowa to see Ashley) was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. There is also a movie but the book has so much more prospective. It is wordy and long, but incredible content. True story about Louie Zamperini, a runner in the Olympics in Germany, POW in Japan. I loved the Boys in the Boat, and some of the setting is the same. Heart breaking story with a wonderful ending. I didn't realize you loved to read so much. Another book I liked this year is Emotional Agility by Susan David. I'll let you know if I read anything else that is good and keep me updated as well. I guess it is good to be able to keep in touch via computer, although I really like face to face time in person. Hugs to you beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the movie Unbroken but haven't read the book yet... we will see if I'm up to the challenge. I'll have to check out Susan David too! Great to hear from you! Hugs!

      Delete